Pymble Players Inc is one of Sydney's Leading Community Theatre Groups. Each year, we present five major productions, a season of four plays for adults and one Christmas production for children.
In 1957 a group of far sighted people led by Margaret Layton called a meeting of about 30 people to create a dramatic club on the North Shore. These first members included Reg Livermore and Simon Chilvers. The club was called Pymble Players.
The first public production, a play called Flat to Let directed by Audrey Blaxland, opened in the Pymble Community Hall on 5th April 1957. Over the next 16 years more than 60 plays were performed including Deep Blue Sea, Hotel Paradiso, The Crucible, Five Finger Exercise and Ring Around the Moon.
Designer John Cervanka, who was the resident designer for the Old Tote Theatre, transformed the hall into an 84 seat, professionally equipped theatre. The gala opening production was Doctors of Philosophy directed by Mike Nash. Over 200 plays have been performed since then, among them, Harp in the South, The Madwoman of Chaillot, Deathtrap, Bert and Maisy, On Golden Pond, and Money and Friends.
In 1980 Pantomime was introduced with The Worst Christmas Fairy Ever, specially written for us by well-known children's author and PP member, Joan Dalgleish. A Christmas children's show is now a well-established PP tradition.
In 1974 we moved to our present home, the 1884 church hall of Pymble Chapel, at the corner of Bromley Avenue and Mona Vale Road . Our theatre is an 84 seat, professionally equipped theatre.